I will freely admit that I’m a Spider-Man fanboy. Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man movies hit right as I was getting back into comics after a long time away. We can all agree that by the time Spider-Man 3 hit, the magic was gone from the franchise. I will forever be haunted by the images of Emo Dancing Street Strutting Peter Parker (somehow HASBRO missed out on making an action figure of that). A fresh take was needed on the character, and I’m glad that Sam Raimi stepped aside.
So about this trailer. I will spare you the frame by frame analysis, I’ll leave that to the darker corners of the Interwebz. I will however outline my hits and misses:
- A real person swinging around as Spider-Man, I understand that CGI needs to be used, but in-camera effects FTMFW
- Emma Stone looks like she stepped out of the pages of a Steve Ditko issue of Amazing Spider-Man. It’s uncanny.
- MECHANICAL WEBSHOOTERS #$%%^&&!!
- The Reptile is the villain, finally!
- I’m not really liking the look of Reptile, what happened to his snout? Why does he look like Killer Croc?
- The suit … I’m a purist and I know this sounds like a nitpick, but there are few costumes that you do not mess around with and Spider-Man is on that list.
- It’s being billed as “the untold story”, I just don’t want a long drawn out origin story. I’m pretty sure my mom and grandmom know how Peter Parker became Spider-Man.
Call me cautiously optimistic about this one, The Amazing Spider-Man hits theaters July 3rd, 2012.